Great Kei Wind Power (Pty) Ltd. is proposing the construction of a Battery Energy Storage System (BESS). The Chaba BESS is proposed within the authorised Great Kei Wind Energy Facility (WEF) project site on the Farm 162 near Komga in the Great Kei Local Municipality, Eastern Cape Province.
- The proposed Chaba BESS will cover an area of a maximum of four hectares (4 ha), contained within the eleven hectares (11 ha) study area. The exact location of the 4 ha Chaba BESS, within the 11 ha study area, has been informed by the specialist studies.
- The BESS will comprise of the following:
- Up to 115 containers (each up to 40 m2), each with a capacity of up to 5 megawatt hours (MWh) and on a concrete platform. These will house the batteries, management system and auxiliaries.
- Up to 60 transformer stations (up to 35 m2 each);
- Up to an additional 10 m2 per container for cooling units;
- Internal access roads up to 8 m wide between rows of containers (Existing roads will be used as far as possible. However, where required, internal access roads will be constructed);
- Medium voltage cabling between containers and the switching station of up to 33 kilovolts (kV); and
- 33 kV powerlines to connect the facility to the electrical grid (up to 200 m).
- Temporary infrastructure including a site camp and a laydown area of approximately 0.3 ha.
- The proposed Chaba BESS will connect to the Eskom Chaba substation.
The reports are available from the 11th of December 2020 until the 31st of January 2021
Contact Person: Ms Caroline Evans
Tel: 046 622 2364